Cool, Vintage, Leather and Why I do it.








Cool was once an attitude fostered by rebels and underdogs, such as slaves, prisoners, bikers and political dissents, etc., for whom open rebellion invited punishment, so it hid its defiance behind a wall of ironic detachment, distancing itself from the source of authority rather than directly confronting it.

Cool is also an attitude widely adopted by artists and intellectuals, who thereby aided its infiltration into popular culture. Sought by product marketing firms, idealized by teenagers, a shield against racial oppression or political persecution and source of constant cultural innovation, cool has become a global phenomenon that has spread to every corner of the earth.[2] (Taken from wikipedia)

Key to this concept of cool is Leather. I became obssessed with leather when I purchased an Endura 1960s cafe racer with a yellow racing stripe. I was overwhelmed with an instantaneous, almost indigenous sense of cool and beauty in that jacket. I became suddenly aware that there are two streams of fashion in the world. Crap...which is what almost everybody wears, and pure cool genius. And just like John Wayne, Cockburn, McQueen, Newman...these guys were innately cool. You cant teach truthfullness, solidity and the desire to stray from what everybody else seems to think is normal. That is what leather jackets, real leather jackets are all about, sorry Belstaff.



Comments

  1. What kind of fur do we have on the jacket above Craig? I remember seeing an outrageous leather/Grizzly Fur jacket on eBay last year for $2,000 looking something like that.

    Hope all went well at the tannery last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its goat...friendly grumbly goat. And yes we are furiously researching away to create some old fashioned leather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blog. Great!

    rgds
    HP, Munich, Germany

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing to my site. Keep in mind if you comment anonymously I cannot respond personally as there will be no email address. Please make sure you include your email so I can respond quickly to any comments and sign up for my feed and you can be updated on my new blithering

Popular Posts